7 Fun Facts about Vinegar
In honor of National Vinegar Day and our recent acquisition of Fleischmann’s Vinegar, we have put together for you seven fun facts about vinegar!
1. Vinegar can be used as a substitute for fresh lemon juice.
2. White vinegar can help treat a sunburn. Simply put a tissue over the sunburned skin and lightly spray with white vinegar. It helps restore your skin to the correct acidity and gives a cooling effect.
3. The term “vinegar” comes from the French word “vin aigre,” meaning sour wine.
4. Vinegar was discovered over 10,000 years ago.
5. You can use full strength white distilled vinegar to kill grass on sidewalks and driveways.
6. Vinegar can help soothe a queasy stomach! The queasy curing cocktail is made of apple cider vinegar, water and honey.
7. The shelf life for vinegar is almost indefinite due to its acidic nature. It is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration.
To learn more about vinegar, visit versatilevinegar.org.
DKMS Delete Blood Cancer Donor Drive: July 12
Every 3 minutes in the United States, someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. For many patients, a bone marrow transplant is the best chance for survival. While 30% of patients can find a matching donor in their families, 70%—nearly 14,000 each year—must rely on a benevolent stranger to step up and donate.
On July 12, Green Plains will hold donor registration drives across all of our locations to help match blood cancer patients to potential donors. Our donor drives are in partnership with DKMS, an organization dedicated to the fight against blood cancer.
Even with over 800,000 registrations, 7 out of 10 patients will not receive the lifesaving bone marrow transplant they need. And that’s why DKMS needs you — to help increase the number of donor matches by increasing the number of names on the national bone marrow registry.
Wondering if you’re eligible to be on the bone marrow registry? Finding out is easy and only takes 10 minutes! All that is required is filling out a form and swabbing the inside of your cheek. Check the listing to below to find out where your community’s donor registration drive will be held on July 12.
Green Plains is excited to announce the launch of greenplainscareers.com! Targeted for job seekers, the careers site showcases our company, its culture, and career opportunities. The theme of this site is “Here We Grow Again” to recognize our company’s ongoing commitment to growth, as well as personal growth, that can be experienced in a career with Green Plains. Check out the new site and here we grow again!
FFA Feeds the Farmers in Ord
Members of the Ord FFA chapter handed out rolls, coffee and sack lunches this October as part of their “Feed the Farmer” campaign at Green Plains Ord.
Halle Ramsey, President of the Ord chapters said, “We felt it was important to take time to appreciate the agricultural members in our local community because without their support, our FFA chapter would not be able to take advantage of so many fantastic opportunities. We feel very blessed to be a part of this community, so we just wanted to give back. We wanted them to know that we appreciate all they do, not only for our FFA chapter, but for the agriculture industry and the world as a whole.”
Green Plains proudly supports FFA and thanks them for the investment in America's agricultural future!